Saturday, August 13, 2016

Daughter of Chatham

Knocks the dust off this blog.

Hey Yall.  I have made some interesting genealogical discoveries this past year.  I am going to start this series talking about my Chatham County roots.  My family surnames from Chatham County are:

  Alston
  Atwater
*Baldwin
  Bynum
  Clark
*Farrington/Fearrington
  Hackney
  Lynn/Linn
  Myrick/Merrick/Miric
  Norwood
  Pendergrass/Pendergraph
  Smith
  Rogers/Rodgers

Surnames noted with the asterisk are surnames that I have at least twice on my family tree.  As you can imagine that gets interesting when sorting out DNA matches.

I also need to put a caveat on this posting that since Chatham County was formed in 1771 out of Orange County.  There will be some crossing into adjacent counties during this blog series.

 My ancestors from Chatham County were Enslaved Africans, Free People of Color (both African and Native American) and Europeans.

Please leave a comment if any of these surnames are found in your family tree.











5 comments:

  1. I have Alston relatives in my Family on my paternal {Father's Family)Brisco Alston,husband of Sallie LeGrand,Father ofBrydette Alston, my Father's half Brother.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've got Clarks from Cherryville, NC (Dad's side) and Smiths from New London, CT (Mom's side). Bynum I already mentioned, but I believe you said it was not a match. Fingers crossed!!

    From Sue Pethick

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Charlotte, I am looking for my paternal grandfather, Edward Clark. I found him in the 1930 and 1940 Census in Washington, DC where it stated that he was from Virginia. But I have been unsuccessful in finding him. My grandmother, Violet Morton, my paternal grandmother, I believe she was from either Greene or Orange County in Virginia.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Char!
    Got another name match: Cornelius Clark. He was from McDowell County, NC

    Sue Pethick

    ReplyDelete